Form I-131 Application Guide: Your Essentials to Advance Parole


Form I-131, officially titled Application for Travel Document, is a form provided by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). It serves a critical role for individuals under various immigration statuses who seek to temporarily depart from the United States and desire assurance of their ability to return. I consider this form a gateway for those who need to travel for emergencies, work, or other important matters without jeopardizing their immigration status. As an individual planning to navigate this process, it’s crucial to understand the function of Form I-131 and the circumstances under which it should be used.


The Application for Travel Document is not uniform in its application; it caters to different types of travel documents such as a reentry permit, a refugee travel document, or an advance parole document. Each serves a distinct purpose and is relevant to different categories of applicants. For example, a reentry permit is vital for lawful permanent residents who plan to travel abroad for an extended period. In contrast, a refugee travel document is designed for those who hold refugee or asylum status and wish to travel outside the United States.

Understanding the timelines, application process, and the nuances of USCIS policies is key when dealing with Form I-131. These factors can significantly impact the success of an application for a travel document. My familiarity with the requirements and procedure aims to reduce uncertainty and pave the way for a smooth application process. It’s important to gather all necessary information before filing Form I-131 to avoid common pitfalls that can lead to delays or denials.

Eligibility and Application Process

I’ll guide you through understanding who is eligible for Form I-131 and how to navigate the application process.

Determining Eligibility

To determine if you’re eligible to file Form I-131, which is used to apply for various travel documents such as Advance Parole, Reentry Permit, and Refugee Travel Document, you must fall into one of several categories. As a Permanent Resident or Conditional Resident, you may apply for a Reentry Permit if you plan to be outside the United States for more than one year. If you have pending Adjustment of Status (Form I-485) or are a recipient of benefits under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) or hold Temporary Protected Status (TPS), you might be entitled to a Travel Document or Advance Parole. Refugees or asylees may apply for a Refugee Travel Document. Those seeking Humanitarian Parole have different eligibility criteria managed by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Filing Form I-131

To file Form I-131, follow these steps:

  1. Instructions: Obtain and read the instruction guide from the USCIS website thoroughly. 
  2. Supporting Documents: Collect the necessary supporting documents specific to your status and intended travel document. 
  3. Filing Fee: Prepare the filing fee for Form I-131, which varies based on the type of travel document you’re applying for. The fee can be found on the USCIS official fee schedule. 
  4. Address: Send your completed Form I-131 and documents to the correct filing address as directed by USCIS.

Remember to sign and date your form before mailing to ensure it is accepted by USCIS.

Processing Time and Fees

For the Processing Time:

  • Reentry Permits: Usually take about 90 days, but times may vary.
  • Advance Parole: Processing can take 2-3 months.
  • Refugee Travel Documents: Typically processed within 3 months.

Form I-131 Fee:

  • Reentry Permit: $575. 
  • Advance Parole: $575 for applicants 14 years of age or older; $575 or $0 for applicants under 14 years old, depending on their situation. 
  • Refugee Travel Documents: $135 for applicants 16 years of age or older; $105 for children under 16.

Expedited Processing may be available for an additional fee and under certain conditions, which the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) considers on a case-by-case basis. To check the status of your application, you can use the “Check Case Status” tool available on the USCIS website.

Types of Travel Documents and Their Uses

Travel documents are an essential requirement for individuals who need to re-enter the United States under certain immigration statuses. Each document serves a specific purpose and is utilized depending on an individual’s status, such as permanent residents, conditional permanent residents, asylees, or those with a pending green card application.

Advance Parole

When I have a pending application for adjustment of status to that of a lawful permanent resident or conditional permanent resident, Advance Parole (AP) is crucial. AP allows me to travel abroad and return to the United States without jeopardizing my pending application. Also, recipients of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) can apply for an Advance Parole Document for travel due to educational, employment, or humanitarian reasons.

  • Eligible applicants: DACA recipients, pending green card applicants
  • Common uses: Temporary travel for humanitarian, educational, or employment reasons

Reentry Permits and Refugee Travel Documents

Reentry Permits are for green card holders who intend to stay outside of the U.S. for an extended period, typically one year or more. Holding a reentry permit can help prevent two potential issues: being considered to have abandoned my Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) or having to apply for a returning resident visa.

  • Eligible applicants: Permanent residents, conditional permanent residents
  • Duration: Valid for up to two years

Refugee Travel Documents are issued to those with refugee or asylee status who wish to travel outside of the United States. Without this document, re-entry into the U.S. could be jeopardized.

  • Eligible applicants: Individuals with refugee/asylee status
  • Validity: Generally valid for one year

Special Circumstances

Under special circumstances, such as emergencies or for humanitarian reasons, specific travel documents might be granted to ensure safety and compliance with immigration laws. If I’m an asylum seeker, or if I have been granted asylum, I may receive a Refugee Travel Document for travel outside of the United States. For green card applicants or holders, and even conditional permanent residents facing removal, special authorization is needed to re-enter the United States. It’s essential to obtain the correct Travel Authorization Document to ensure my reentry is not denied.

  • Eligibility: Varies based on the nature of the emergency or humanitarian reasons
  • Usage: Adherence to immigration laws during emergencies or unforeseen circumstances

By maintaining the correct documentation, I preserve my ability to travel internationally without affecting my immigration status in the U.S. Each travel document caters to different statuses and needs, ensuring compliance and facilitating international travel for temporary or extended periods.

Post Author: admin

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *